Chiropractic Tips for Summertime Fun
Summer is around the corner, and that means your kids will have time on their hands. Make sure they don’t spend all of it inside playing video games or on their iPhone, suggests chiropractor Dr. Cynthia Boyd of Symmetry Health Center in Oakland and Alameda.
Get them outside engaging in physical activity. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that children get a minimum of 60 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Once you get the kids outside, be sure they are hydrated – and do that before they get outside. If you wait until you’re thirsty to hydrate, it’s already too late. Tip: Let younger children pick out a “special” water bottle that will remind them to keep drinking. You can also add flavor to the water by adding some fresh fruit.
- Getting the kids outside also allows them to soak up some Vitamin D, which boosts immunity, strengthens bones and increases energy levels.
- Don’t let them stay out in the heat too long. Encourage them to take a break, come back inside and cool off.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Choose a brand that doesn’t include any of the following ingredients: PABA, OMC, 4-MBC, Benzophene-3 or Homosalate. Studies have linked these substances to an increased risk for skin cancer.
- With more time at home and at play, kids will have more opportunities for snacking. Keep healthy snacks available by cutting up fruits and veggies ahead of time. If you have older kids who are home alone, consider eliminating junk food. That way, they have to select healthy options.
- If your kids’ time outside is in the park, check the playground equipment to make certain there are no jagged edges or broken parts.
- With the kids underfoot more than usual, you’ll need time to yourself. Do yourself a favor: Take a long bath, read a book, or treat yourself to a massage.
- Take the time for chiropractic care – for yourself and the kids. Summertime activities make it all the more important. Increased participation in sports activities increases the risk of injury. If you’re planning a family vacation, you’ll likely engage in activities that could strain muscles you don’t normally use. You’ll probably be spending hours in a car or plane, which can play havoc with your neck and back, in particular. An adjustment is always a good idea post-vacation.
Dr. Boyd and her team are experts in Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP), a method of correcting spinal misalignments – vertebrae that have shifted out of position – by remodeling and realigning the spine to restore normal nerve flow.
The team at Symmetry Health Center is among only a handful of Oakland, Alameda and East Bay chiropractors trained in CBP, the most research- and results-oriented corrective chiropractic technique.
Take advantage of our no-charge consultation to determine whether you or your kids are candidates for care at Symmetry Health Center. Call 510-769-0125 for our location in Alameda and 510-654-2207 to reach our Oakland/Berkeley office