Chiropractic Care and Auto Accident Injuries
Auto accident injuries affect as many as 3 million people per year in the United States. What type of injuries are sustained and their severity will vary significantly depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident. One of the most common accidents you are likely to experience is a rear-end collision.
If you have been in an accident and have sustained an injury or suspect you will develop latent symptoms, seek medical care immediately. This will ensure that you get the best possible treatment to prevent unnecessary suffering and possible latent symptoms. Plus, everything will be properly documented for filing any necessary medical liens.
Types of Auto Injuries
The most common types of injuries that occur from a car accident include the following:
- Whiplash. This is by far the most common injury from an accident. Injury occurs with a rapid change in direction of the vehicle and deceleration that leads to strain of the connective tissue and joints in the neck.
- Concussion. Interestingly, whiplash on its own (without the head making contact with an object) can cause a concussion due to the motion the brain sustains against the walls of the skull. Additionally, direct contact with windows, dashboards and other objects can lead to concussion and/or brain damage.
- Low back pain. Whiplash can also technically occur in the low back, in addition to disc herniations, muscle strain, and other spinal injuries that lead to pain and dysfunction.
- Knee injuries. Impact on the knees from dashboards and car seats make this a possible injury site, resulting in ligament and/or meniscus damage.
- Fracture. Awkward postures, high impact, or rolling of vehicles can lead to fracture of any part of the body, particularly the ribs.
- Organ damage. Impact and direct contact can also cause internal damage and bleeding.
- Anxiety disorder. Outside of physical damage, car accidents can lead to anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other psychological issues due to the trauma associated with the accident itself.
Auto Accident Injuries and the Spine
The most common injuries that occur with a car accident are related to the central nervous system (aka brain, spinal cord, and nerves). These sensitive tissues are the centerpiece to optimal body function. Thus, injuries to them can significantly affect quality of life.
The vertebrae of the spine are made to absorb the impact from everyday activities. However, what happens when a very large force of impact overloads the spine and surrounding connective tissue? A mix of the following symptoms:
- Chronic spine pain and swelling, ranging anywhere from mild to severe
- Painful, uncoordinated movement of the spine
- Memory loss
- Trouble concentrating
- Changes in personality
- Nerve damage that can cause tingling, limb weakness, and numbness
- Poor posture or functional scoliosis
- Muscles spasms due to or causing spinal misalignment
- Decreased quality of life
- And more…!
Chiropractic Care to Return to a Normal Life
Dealing with a spine injury, in addition to the stress of dealing with the legalities of a car accident, can leave life feeling anything but normal. The best way to get back on track is to seek high-quality care.
There are several different treatment options available that may be of help in the recovery process. These include acupuncture, injections, medication, physical therapy, massage therapy, psychiatric counseling, and chiropractic care. These are all viable options. The most important aspect is finding a provider you trust and feel comfortable working with toward your recovery goals.
Spinal misalignment is one of the major underlying issues that lead to disability and injury after a car accident. At Symmetry Health Center in the Bay Area, we specialize in addressing this root issue. Dr. Tina Noorishad and Dr. Cynthia Boyd are chiropractic specialized in Alameda and Oakland in the leading science-based, results-oriented treatment approach Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP).
CBP is a gentle, safe, noninvasive approach that works to restore spinal alignment. In doing so, nerve flow and energy will be restored and full body function and healing will be optimized. This is what makes chiropractic care from one of the few CBP certified chiropractors in the country your best choice for recovering quickly and sustainably from a car accident or any other type of spine-related injury.
The bottom line
Chiropractic care will help bring the body, particularly the spine, to a place of balance. When everything is in alignment, healing can occur. Typically, a comprehensive chiropractic treatment program will include manipulation, posture training, soft tissue therapy, corrective exercise, spine health education, and modalities for pain relief.
Injuries associated with an auto accident may lead to lingering dysfunction, pain and frustration. The best course of action is to get in touch with Symmetric Health Center in the Bay Area immediately to determine appropriate treatment based on your specific symptoms and needs.
Chiropractic BioPhysics, or CBP, is one of the most scientific, researched, and results-oriented corrective care techniques. CBP-trained chiropractors aim to realign the spine back to health, eliminating nerve interference and addressing the source of pain, fatigue, and disease. As with all chiropractic care, CBP is gentle, painless, and non-invasive.