Holiday Health Tips: Alameda Chiropractor
With Thanksgiving looming, the annual cycle of holiday stress has begun. Spending time with family can sometimes be awkward, especially if you’re dealing with the loss of a loved one. You have the tree to trim, holiday parties to prepare for, holiday shopping and packaging to do. You may be traveling, which is bound to include long lines, uncomfortable airline seats or long car rides, often in poor weather.
Ways to Have a Healthy Holiday Season
When you’re stressed, your body tightens up. The result can be headaches, neck pain, and even pain in your jaw. Tight muscles can also create uneven pressure on the bony structures of the spinal column, leading to misalignment of the spinal column – vertebrae that are shifted out of their proper position.
Chiropractic adjustments can release muscle tension, helping the body return to a more balanced, relaxed state. A healthy and balanced spine is key to managing stress.
But stress isn’t the only holiday season irritant your body faces. Others include:
- Colds and flu. Chiropractic adjustments can boost your immune system. They can also restore lymph drainage to remove excess fluid. Chiropractic treatments can fight ear and sinus infections and other illnesses that tend to occur more frequently in colder weather.
- Aches and pains. Pulling out and placing holiday decorations requires muscles you might not use very often. The same is true of raking leaves or shoveling snow. To avoid injury, warm up your muscles before you undertake any of these tasks. Remember to lift with your knees and not your back. If you do strain your muscles, a chiropractor can provide relief.
Holiday shopping. Treat holiday shopping like an athletic event, advises the American Chiropractic Association.
- Stay hydrated.
- Take breaks every 45 minutes.
- Eat lightly.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing, and carry a fanny bag or backpack instead of a purse.
- Ice any areas that hurt when you’ve finished shopping.
If you do experience pain or discomfort as a result of holiday activities, know that chiropractic is a powerful tool to deal with those maladies.
Consider a visit to Dr. Cynthia Boyd and her team at Symmetry Health Center. They are among only a handful of Oakland and Alameda-area chiropractors certified in Chiropractic BioPhysics, the most researched and results-oriented corrective chiropractic technique. Unlike regular chiropractic, which focuses on immediate pain relief, Chiropractic BioPhysics goes one step further to correct the source of the problem.
Contact us to determine if you are a candidate for care at one of our Symmetry Health Center locations in Oakland or Alameda.