3 Things You Can Do to Improve Your Spine Health
Back pain is a common complaint that can affect people of all ages, genders, and professions. Most likely, you have also already experienced this type of pain at least once in your life or you have someone in your family who has. Thus, you know exactly how much it can make your everyday life harder. If you are looking for some tips on how you can prevent the onset of back pain or manage your symptoms better, today we will talk about 3 things you can do to improve your spine health.
Since your spine has multiple vital functions within your body, such as housing the central nervous system and providing stability for the entire body, having good spine health should always be your top priority. Enhanced spine health is also essential to being able to live a high quality of life. Thus, it’s worth learning more about how you can keep your spine healthy with a few simple tips.
#1. Tip: Be Mindful of Your Ergonomics
Most likely, we can all agree that we don’t really pay attention to the positions we put our spines in when participating in various activities throughout the day. However, it matters which positions you hold your spine in on a daily basis, as many of them can be detrimental when it comes to your spine’s health. Having poor posture can result in one of the most common health problems that affect the spine: spine misalignment. This is why it’s important to be mindful of your ergonomics and improve your posture to be ergonomically friendly. Let’s see a few examples of how you can do that in the case of some daily activities:
- Sitting: Each day we spend a lot of time sitting because of work, entertainment, or for many other reasons. When sitting, keep your spine health in mind and try to maintain a good position. For example, when you are sitting at your desk, set up your workspace in a way that provides proper support for your spine. The best is if you can keep your neck in a neutral position, your hips at 90 degrees, and both your feet flat on the floor.
- Sleeping: Having a good posture when sleeping is extremely important because we spend about 8 hours (optimally!) in bed each day. While the right sleep position may depend on your preferences and the curvature of your spine, there are some guidelines that can help you improve your posture. In general, when it comes to your spine, it’s better to sleep on a firmer mattress. This way your spine’s natural curves will be properly supported and won’t sink into the mattress. Additionally, consider utilizing pillows to provide extra support for your hips, neck, and arms.
- Standing: Most often, when we are standing for an extended period of time, after a while we get tired and find ourselves in an awkward position. The problem with these positions is that they may be quite hard on your spine. Therefore, try to keep your back straight as much as you can when on your feet. Avoid slouching and leaning to one side when standing.
#2. Tip: Focus on Managing Your Daily Stress
All of us have stress in our lives to different extents. Some of us have to deal with a lot of stress each day, while others have a less stressful life. Unfortunately, chronic stress can be harmful to our health and it can negatively affect our bodily functions as well. Common health issues associated with stress include pain, sleep problems, inflammation, and depression. All these issues can contribute to the onset of spine-related health problems and increase the risk for future injuries.
It’s easy to see why managing your daily stress is important to living a healthy life. Here are a few tips that can help you with better stress management:
- Practice self-care each day
- Exercise regularly (core-strengthening exercises are great for the spine!)
- Develop good sleep habits
- Eat healthy foods
- Have healthy relationships with the people around you
- Practice mindfulness – meditate, keep a journal, do yoga, etc.
- Seek guidance from a holistic healthcare provider
#3. Tip: See a Spine Expert Regularly
Seeing a spine expert, such as a chiropractor, may bring you plenty of great benefits. For example, they can detect any underlying health issues that could be causing you a lot of unnecessary suffering in the future. These include spine-related problems like spine misalignment and poor biomechanics. Plus, they can address these issues with effective treatment options so your symptoms won’t become severe or chronic. Below are some of the benefits you may expect from regular Corrective chiropractic care:
- Getting your spine assessed to detect underlying issues (mostly misalignments and imbalances)
- Medication-free pain relief
- Exercise and lifestyle recommendations to unlock your health potential
- Spine adjustments for nerve integrity and better overall health
It’s Worth Doing Something Proactively for Your Spine Health
Hopefully, the above-mentioned tips will help you feel your absolute best and you can effectively prevent the onset of back pain, or manage your existing symptoms better. If you want the best for your spine, consider finding Chiropractic care. Chiropractor certified in Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) who can give you further guidance on boosting your spine health. In Oakland and Alameda, CA, Dr. Cynthia Boyd and her team are CBP-certified. Get in touch with them today at Symmetry Health Center so they can help you reach your spine goals!