Corrective Care over Surgery – It Should Always Be Your First Choice
Spine surgery and the number of back patients that elect to go through this invasive process are on the rise. Some health professionals point to the increase in obesity, sedentary lifestyles, and overall poor health as the culprits for this growing number. Unfortunately, these same health factors also limit the benefits that surgery can provide. Instead of surgery, corrective care would probably be a better option.
There are several different types of spine dysfunction that may lead someone to seeking treatment. These include issues like back pain, nerve damage (causing weakness, tingling, numbness and discoordination), or simply a decreased quality of life.
Corrective care is always your first line of defense against back dysfunction
There are many treatment approaches available to address symptoms related to back pain and spinal misalignment. These include:
- Chiropractic care. What treatments will be utilized will be on a case by case basis. Generally manipulation, soft tissue therapy, corrective exercise, stretching, and modalities for pain relief are all part of a comprehensive program to maximize benefits.
- Home remedies. Many people start with self care options such as massage, heat, ice, and gentle exercise.
- Physical therapy. A therapist can also help restore movement balance in the spine and decrease pain. Treatments may include education, soft tissue massage, exercises and modalities for pain relief.
- Holistic care. Addressing other areas of health is key for sustaining lasting results of back pain. This might include weight loss, proper nutrition, improved sleep, and stress management.
- Mindfulness practices. Classes (guided or not) that promote body awareness can help promote better posture and improve pain beliefs.
- Medications and injections. When less invasive options aren’t yielding results or pain is too severe, a physician can prescribe medications for pain, inflammation, and nerve dysfunction. Injections may be administered as needed too for short term relief to improve tolerance for any other treatment options being utilized.
Of these options, the most heavily researched, results-oriented treatment available is Chiropractic BioPhysics (CPB). This unique treatment addresses the root cause of back dysfunction and pain with a gentle, safe, and effective approach. Dr. Cyntha Boyd and Dr. Tina Noorishad at Symmetry Health Center in the Bay are two of only a handful of CBP chiropractors in the nation. Additionally, Dr. Rachel Storher and Dr. Cameron Penta both have unique life experiences to provide the best possible care for anyone experiencing back problems.
Corrective care vs surgery, is there a better way?
Unfortunately, conservative care is not always enough. If treatment is not satisfactory and severe spine symptoms continue, surgery is often the next step recommended by an orthopedic surgeon. After weeks, months, or even years of back pain, many patients are ready to try anything just to get some relief.
However, there are a lot of inherent risks that come with the invasiveness of surgery. If there is a clear physical anomaly found in imaging that needs drastic correction, such as with severe scoliosis, spinal cord impingement, or narrowed joints spaces due to bone spurs, surgery can be an effective treatment tool. In fact, surgical repair that relieves pressure to the spinal cord or nerves can often provide immediate and long term relief.
Keep in mind that surgery should never be a treatment for back pain alone. When someone elects for back surgery for treating back pain, it can lead to frustration and chronic issues with pain, nerve damage, and the ability to complete normal daily activities. Plus, oftentimes the root cause of back pain is never addressed with surgery. This means that the back will most likely return and continue to degenerate in spite of surgical corrections.
Is there a better way? Oftentimes, yes. Addressing the root cause of any back problem starts with assessing and addressing spinal misalignment. This can help restore nerve flow and return the spine to a more balanced state that can drastically improve back function and quality of life.
Corrective care to maximize spine healing
Do you feel stuck in a never-ending cycle of back pain and dysfunction? Do you do everything you’re told to do by your physician and therapist yet still feel completely stuck? Dealing with these issues can be frustrating and put your mental health at risk too.
Before reading this article, did you know that spinal misalignment is the most common cause of back dysfunction and pain? Neural health is crucial for a healthy spine and body. When spinal misalignment occurs, it disrupts nerve flow and makes body function and everyday living feel impossible.
When the spine is in proper alignment, nerve energy helps revitalize the entire back and decrease problems with pain and inflammation. At Symmetry Health Center in the Bay Area, we are addressing these root problems and helping patients return to the quality of life they deserve. CBP training provides our clinic with unique tools for going above and beyond other conservative treatment options.
If you feel like you’ve tried it all, don’t give up hope just yet. Our holistic approach may be just what you need to finally get back on track. If you’re experiencing any type of back problem and are considering surgery, come talk to a chiropractic specialist today to see if they can help you completely avoid surgery.
Chiropractic BioPhysics, or CBP, is one of the most scientific, researched, and results-oriented corrective care techniques. CBP-trained chiropractors aim to realign the spine back to health, eliminating nerve interference and addressing the source of pain, fatigue, and disease. As with all chiropractic care, CBP is gentle, painless, and non-invasive.