How Chiropractic Care Can Contribute to Your Holistic Health
While Western medicine concentrates mainly on the individual’s physical illness, holistic health is addressing the whole person from different aspects, including our physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, and social needs. This holistic approach to health can do much more for improving and maintaining our well-being and quality of life than Western medicine with its singular focus.
Although most traditional approaches focus on keeping us free from disease, not all treatment options focus on the whole health of a person. Luckily, some healthcare practices still incorporate holistic health and make it their primary focus. Fortunately, chiropractic care is one of them. This is because chiropractors believe that good spine health can help us unlock our health potential.
What Does Holistic Health Mean?
Basically, holistic health is an approach to life. It means that when you approach your health holistically, you concentrate on every aspect of health and you emphasize the connection of the body, mind, and spirit. This multidimensional approach will help you find your balance so you can feel whole again and live your life in the healthiest and happiest way possible.
Unsurprisingly, if any aspect of health is neglected, you can end up with poor overall health or some kind of imbalance.
The Main Differences Between Holistic Methods and the Approach of Western Medicine
You might have a basic idea of how holistic methods may differ from the approach of Western medicine. But now it’s time to dig a little deeper. The main differences between the two approaches are the following:
- When it comes to Western medicine, we have a different specialist for every body part. Plus, instead of looking at the big picture, this modern approach is typically only addressing one health issue at a time.
- Western medicine has a different definition of good health: it means the absence of illness. On the other hand, holistic methods focus on the individual’s well-being from many aspects. So you should feel more balanced and energetic than ever before.
- Holistic health practitioners believe that not every health issue can be diagnosed or solved during a one-time consultation or treatment (usually a prescription). Sometimes you need more than that to discover underlying health issues that can be responsible for poor health.
How to Improve Your Health Holistically
If you would like to address your health holistically, you can try it by yourself or you can ask for the help of a professional who is specialized in holistic health. As there are many factors besides your physical state that can help you enhance your overall well-being, you have many possibilities to choose from. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Mindfulness techniques: There are many mindfulness techniques (for example, guided meditation and deep breathing) that can help you to reduce stress and anxiety. Plus, it is a good way to learn how to be more present in your life.
- Self-care: Caring for yourself has many health benefits. Therefore, try to spend some time on self-care regularly. Take a bath, relax and do what you like.
- Social life: Build new supportive relationships or improve existing ones. Having healthy relationships can significantly boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Healthy habits: Healthy habits are crucial when it comes to your physical and mental health. Make sure you have a healthy diet, you exercise regularly and you get adequate sleep each night.
- Underlying health issues: There are many underlying health issues that can affect your general health. A chiropractor can help to diagnose and treat several issues (for example, spine misalignment) holistically.
Holistic Health and Chiropractic Care
Initially, chiropractic care usually addresses the physical aspects of your health. This is because chiropractors primarily focus on spine health. A Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) certified chiropractor can detect even the slightest spine misalignment that very often may stay unrecognized by other health professionals. Discovering any kind of issues regarding your spine and making a diagnosis is important because poor spine health can affect your neural integrity and cause many other health problems.
A misalignment in the spine can occur for many reasons. It can be because of poor posture, inactivity, bad sleeping habits, or even injuries. Amongst the most common symptoms, we can find chronic pain, excessive fatigue, headache, and other health symptoms that can be related to many other illnesses too. That’s why it is important to detect the real underlying issue that leads to these symptoms. If your spine is misaligned, a chiropractor can help restore the proper spine alignment which can then serve as a base for improving your holistic health.
Work on Your Holistic Health Goals With the Help of a CBP Practitioner
Once your spine alignment is restored and the pathways for nerve flow are reopened, you will notice a boost in your health from multiple aspects. You will be able to live a better life filled with energy and joy.
If you would like to unlock your health potential with a CBP certified chiropractor, Dr. Cynthia Boyd and her team in Oakland and Alameda, CA at Symmetry Health Center are eager to help you improve your spine health and reach all your holistic health goals.